Two down, one to go! During the third and final session of our ‘Spring Cleaning’ series, Zasio will be teaming up with the Boise Valley Chapter of ARMA to bring you best practices for records retention schedule (RRS) maintenance. Learn objectives for refreshing your RRS, and methods you can use at your organization to accomplish these objectives.
To help facilitate this conversation, we’re bringing in another expert, David Stephens, CRM, FAI, one of the nation’s leading consultants in the records and information management industry. Mr. Stephens has written books and technical articles which have defined professional practices and he’s delivered lectures throughout the United States and in Europe, Asia, and Latin America. He also served as President and CEO of ARMA International and was inducted into their Company of Fellows.
Date: May 5, 2021
Time: 9:00 a.m. Mountain Time
To ensure you get the most out of this session and the time with our experts, start thinking of questions you would like to ask and send them to email@example.com.
March 24, 2021
Theme: Best Practices for Managing Redundant, Obsolete, and Trivial Information (ROT)
Guest Panelists: Warren Bean, CRM, Sr. Sales Engineer and Product Development Manager at Zasio
- What is the best way to get metrics on ROT?
- Is there a way to calculate “cost of ownership”, per GB, of all ROT?
- Do you have examples of steps or resources to get senior management’s buy-in to addressing ROT
- How do you determine what is ROT versus what is historic or archival material, especially when employees want to keep everything forever?
- If utilizing technology is not an option, what are some manual/process-based methods organizations can use to find and sort ROT?
- What tools are people using to identify ROT? Do those tools also have the ability to automatically delete the ROT
- What is the best way to have end-users eliminate ROT from email and their assigned individual OneDrive folders without excessive amounts of dedicated time?
- What are best practices for reducing ROT on shared drives?
- What are best practices for reducing ROT from the CLOUD?
February 10, 2021
Theme: Email Management
Guest Panelists: Blake Richardson, CRM and Sharon Laplant, Records Manager and President of the ICRM
- How do we create processes and procedures to make email management easy for end users, while also applying records schedules and disposition workflows to email?
- Do you have advice on how to gain management support for this type of initiative? How do others address opposition to such an initiative?
- What are some tips for how to roll out an email retention initiative?
- What sort of traps and unanticipated work arounds did you see or notice after the fact?
- Do most companies have an auto-deletion policy and then immediately delete, or do they archive for a period of time?
- What are some suggestions for cleaning up PST files?
November 18, 2020
Theme: CIPP Certification
Guest Panelist: Soo Kang, Director of Producer Security at Aflac
- What is the exam process like?
- What are some tips for effective studying?
- How many questions are on the exam?
- What are the recommended resources for information on the CIPP certification?
- What does the time commitment look like in preparing for the exam?
- For someone new to information governance, is the CIPP a good certification to start with?
- Would other certifications provide you with a better “baseline” for work within the field?
- How does the CIPP complement other certifications?
October 15, 2020
Theme: IGP and CIGO Certifications
Guest Panelist: Andrew Ysasi, MS, FIP, FIIM, CIPM, CIGO, CISM, PMP, CRM, IGP, CIP, CSAP
- Are the IGP and CIGO certifications recognized worldwide?
- What are some tips to help prepare for the exam?
- How do these certifications compare to others in the industry?
- What materials are suggested to focus on for the exam?
- How long are the exams?
- Which certification carries more “weight” in the industry?
September 24, 2020
Theme: CRM Certification
Guest Panelist: Blake Richardson, CRM
- How does the CRM certification compare to other certifications?
- What techniques work best for studying for the exams?
- What are some good resources to help prepare for the exams?
- What was the greatest challenge during the CRM certification process?
- How will the online testing process work?
- Are there practice exams available?
- How long does each test take?
- What are some challenges in building a career as a RIM professional?
- Is there a recommended order for taking the exams?
- When is the best time to pursue a certification?
August 20, 2020
Theme: COVID19 and How it relates to Information Governance
- Is your organization collecting records of employee COVID testing as part of a return to workplace initiative?
- If COVID testing records are being collected, at what frequency are records collected?
- Is your organization collecting employee COVID testing data, how are you categorizing it in your RRS?
- Is your organization collecting employee contact tracing records?
- Is your organization collecting records of temperature checks from employees/contractors/visitors as a prerequisite for entry into the workplace?
- If you are collecting employee COVID temperature test data, how are you categorizing it in your RRS?
- Do you think organizations should log confirmed COVID cases related to the workplace as reportable under OSHA?
- Do you think workplace exposure and medical records related to COVID should be kept consistent with an organization’s exposure record series?
- With more people working remotely, are you noticing a decrease in paper records and that more documents are being “born” electronically now?
July 16, 2020
Theme: Structure data retention periods and COVID records retention
- Structure data retention periods
- Does your organization struggle with determining appropriate retention and disposition for structured data?
- Does your organization keep a separate retention schedule for structured data?
- For those organizations with their management of structured data, how do you determine the appropriate retention periods for that data?
- Should the appropriate retention period for structured data correlate to the retention period of the output records?
- How do you approach retention periods for applications that have various data fields? For example, one data section has employment information, another data section has company financial record information, etc.
- COVID records retention
- Is your organization currently generating/collecting/retaining employee health-screening COVID related records?
- For organizations collecting various employee health information, how is this information being categorized?
- Has your organization determined an appropriate retention period for these records?
- If yes, what has been determined the appropriate retention period?
- Do you consider employee health-screening COVID related records to contain PHI (Protected Health Information)?
June 17, 2020
Theme: RIM Policies and Records Retention Schedules
- We are a local government agency preparing to update our records management policy and retention schedule. I am hoping to gather information to aid in the development of a records program that meets today’s environment. I would like to know about:
- Best practices/standards for records management policy
- Best practices/standards for retention schedule
- What is considered permanent record (agenda, minutes, financial statements, etc.)
- Paper versus electronic records
May 14, 2020
Theme: RIM Fundamentals and RIM/IG + COVID-19
- How many call participants still grapple with RIM fundamentals, including but not limited to the following:
- Obtaining senior-level support
- Records retention schedules
- Physical records issues – such as onsite/offsite records storage with one vendor
- Creating RIM awareness within their organization
- Employee training
- Has your organization advanced fundamental areas to more advanced RIM areas such as IG, privacy, and electronic records and information management?
- Companies are starting to assess returning employees back to the office.
- Is your company doing this in a staged approach?
- Has your company implemented an employee health-certification to return to work?
- Have you had to deal with scheduling COVID self-certification forms from a retention perspective yet?
- Is your company determining whether “work-from-home” may be a permanent option for some functions?
April 16, 2020
Theme: Information Governance and COVID-19
- Privacy regulations may be relaxed during a pandemic. Any suggestions on how to ensure data sharing during a pandemic will not come under scrutiny once we are no longer under a pandemic?
- Many organizations are looking for ways to improve education and keep people sharp while working from home, do you have suggestions for IG professionals?
- How are organizations with geographically dispersed field offices (plus HQ offices) managing records management activities internally along with their offsite storage vendor(s)? Have organizations put less of a priority on RIM at this point?
- With remote workers, what additional cybersecurity measures are organizations putting into place, if any?
- Are most RIM-related employees continuing to work from home? If not, what is the rationale for them working from the office? If they are working from home, have they received a timeline for reporting back to the office?
- If RIM-related employees are working from home, are they able to collaborate and work on in-progress RIM projects and initiatives or initiate new initiatives?